UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-28 10:56 AM

biologz
Administrator

Re: work work work

Dear diary,

yesterday i almost fought with a colleague at work. I really really really would have loved to hit him but i'm not so stupid even if i wish i was.

3 weeks to bear this situation and i'm free...

gethostbyintuition() is still a dream of mine

-- quoted from bash

#2 2007-02-28 12:06 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

Oh come on! Where are the sappy details?! If we're to endure your moaning, at least give us the interesting parts too!

#3 2007-02-28 12:19 PM

biologz
Administrator

Hmm yes you're right, i should keep a certain balance, the problem is that there is absolutely no balance at this level for me right now...

i could tell you a joke now but i don't think the translation would keep the humour of the joke...lol.

Ah yes ok i have something funny: a secretary told me that she had sex with me in her dreams last night...that's quite unusual that a woman tell frankly a man stuff like this...

Well i hope it can balance a little?

-- quoted from bash

#4 2007-02-28 02:00 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

What, women don't say that to you all the time?  Must just be me... ;-)  (Yeah, only
in MY dreams... ;-))

And, I still want to know the details of what the fight was about!  Geez, you can't
just tease people like that, and give no information... ;-)  Was it at least something
really worthy of a good feud, like Unix vs. Windoze, or vi vs. emacs, or similar? ;-)

#5 2007-02-28 02:01 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

I was thinking more about backstory, and the lead up to the almost fight, with here and there thrown in hateful remarks about the colleague. Or something like that. You know, something resembling a complete story, instead of just a random snippet, which at best piques our interests, but tells us nothing.

That you almost fought isn't interesting. On the other hand, why that's the case and why you really loved to hit him might indeed be. If it isn't: well, bugger.

As for your secretary snippet: Not funny at all. Keep in mind we know nothing about you or her (not that we want to), so for me it provoked the "so what" reaction. Just take the hint and make it an enjoyable three weeks.

It's not about balance, it's about providing enough information that the story stands and is interesting to read. If that isn't possible it's only boring moaning no one is interested in. Senseless, but passionate raving is all right too, if it's amusing to read.

#6 2007-02-28 02:17 PM

biologz
Administrator

Well well ok, i'll try to do my best:

i was coding (VBScript so there is no point in posting the code trust me) something starting from what a colleague had already done. In the code, there was a part where we had to apply a regexp to a string.

Actually he identified what we don't want the string to be by applying different patterns in a loop...So i told him that we could spend less time on this operation by applying only one regexp for the whole thing or to identify what we want in a single regexp.

I think he didn't understand because he stared at me and told me it was pointless. So i tried to explain him kindly that it was never pointless to earn execution time. Then he replied that in a company we're not asked to produce a good code but a functional one. So i began to be really angry and told him that it is because of people like him that windoz exists. He told me to go back to my home so i insulted him and he insulted me...then i left the office insulting everybody in this fuc*ing company where people code in VBScript, create ads for vista and then try to give me lessons :-)

Well here is the story but i already had a few problems with this guy before. So to answer Rob, it started from a technical problem, but i think you (rob) would go mad if you had to work with them lol you can't imagine.

As for i3839: gosh you're tough with me :-)

-- quoted from bash

#7 2007-02-28 04:06 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

Yeah, I am. Worse: WTF are you doing there if you hate it so? I'd rather live on the street than do VB work in that company, from what I've heard of it. ;-)

#8 2007-02-28 04:30 PM

biologz
Administrator

Well you're right, actually i'm in alternance, so i signed for 6 months in this company, but they told me at the last moment that i was going to work under windoz exclusively and do VBScript...

I could have left the compaby but it would have been complicated with my school so i stayed and now it's almost over. At least i can say i'm stronger now because it was the most depressing 6 months of my life :-)

But you're right i'd rather live in the street than doing what i'm doing but the fact is that i have some pressure on me, i can't deceive my parents because relations with them are already complicated etc...hehe i'd like to be the only person that has to suffer for my choices but i'm not.

Well enough with that, next time i post something on the Lounge channel, it will be a nice and funny story. It may happen in about 3 weeks :-)

-- quoted from bash

#9 2007-02-28 04:41 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

No one asked for nice and funny, only for more details, which you gave, so we're happy. Nice stories are more often than not boring. ;-)

Telling only at the last moment what you must do for those six months seems a bit strange. How can they know if you're the right person to do that work if they don't ask about it? How can you know if it's suitable work for you if you don't know what to do? Basically both parties were signing a contract blindly.

#10 2007-02-28 05:49 PM

biologz
Administrator

Well in fact, i knew what i was going to do. What they forgot to mention is the technical environment. I mean if you look at my CV you won't even see the word "Windows" written. All my previous activities were related to Unix (mostly Linux eand BSD) and security.

But when they gave me the description of the work it sounded really cool. And for me when you work in security you work under Unix and not Windows. The only way a security engineer should use windows is to break it. So the last time i saw them i had refused all my other jobs and they told me that i was going to work under windows...Plus i discovered that they are active members of the microsoft community...i mean those people spend Thousand and thousands Euros in black box that they don't even understand and that claims to provide security. I was horrified but it was too late...i don't know why they recruited such a profile like mine...Maybe they thought i would adapt to windoz and related "technologies" LOL.

-- quoted from bash

#11 2007-02-28 07:41 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Ok, yeah, a flame-war about efficiency is perfectly justified... ;-)  Of course, when
you're already hobbled by Windoze and VB, then maybe there's not much you can
realistically do as a coder to improve efficiency, aside from change environments... ;-)

And, yeah, if I were forced to work in that environment, I'd go postal... ;-)  But, there
is something to be said for getting experience in many different environments,
especially early in your career...  I actually fell in love with programming because of
MS-BASIC under DOS, so that's at least ONE good thing Microsoft has done for me,
anyway... ;-)  In high school, up until about my junior year, I was intending to become
an astronomer, but then I took some programming classes (all they taught was
BASIC), and was instantly hooked, and decided programming was the life for me...
Once I hit college and learned C, I was even MORE hooked...  But, I also enjoyed
learning the dozens of other languages they threw at us (I still have a soft spot for
LISP, to this day), and even wacky shit like having to type in raw Z80 machine code
on a hex keypad... ;-)  But, it was clear that C was definitely the greatest language
in existence, and Unix-like OS's were the most pleasant to work in, so when I
graduated, I definitely wanted something doing C coding under Unix...  Luckily, I
found the perfect job, even though it started off with horrible pay, and the OS was
really a very bastardized Unix clone (QNX); at least it was C coding, and not under
Windoze, anyway...  And, these days, we're slowly migrating to Linux, so the OS is
now about perfect from my point of view...  I even don't mind a little GTK coding in
this environment, even though I had previously sworn I'd NEVER do any GUI coding
ever... ;-)

So, yeah, it's important you eventually find a job you can be happy doing...  But,
for temporary work just to get by or to learn new stuff, you can put up with annoying
stuff for a little while...  Just try to find something interesting about the work, at
least...  Or, at least hit on that secretary that's got the hots for you, anyway... ;-)

Board footer