UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-24 11:59 PM

biologz
Administrator

Re: uninteresting thoughts

That's crazy i noticed that since i work, i do nothing constructive during my free time...

I mean tonight i did absolutely nothing excepted drinking beer and eating and watching silly TV...When i was a student i was always motived to do some research on various subjects etc...Damned there so much thing i wanna code and i spent my night (which is not finished yet) doing nothing. I hate working.

Maybe it's because i'm working under windows...i hate that, it's disgusting me. I have to change my job as soon as i can really...or maybe i have to stop working in computers. i'd like to have my own pub, a unix geek only pub :-)

well sorry for this totally boring thread, i just wanted to throw those thoughts off of my mind.

if someone reading this post (it would mean that you really have nothing to do) is attracted by this unix geek pub idea, let me know...

gethostbyintuition() is still a dream of mine

-- quoted from bash

#2 2006-11-25 02:08 AM

HectorLasso
Administrator

I also hate working. But for different reasons.

I haven't been able to code for a long time. Last time was almost 3 years ago. I was the project manager of a billing system implementation for a mobile business (if you understand the size of the responsibility...;) ), and we needed to load CDRs into a database and process them (it was a temporary solution, out of the scope of my project and contract).

Someone did it on an Oracle database. Loading was fast, but then processing it was taking hours for a few million CDRs, so we estimated we needed like one month to process all the data in the database. And it was optimized...

That night I had a dream, and the next day I was telling the programmer how to do it in C (it was extremely simple). But I wasn't able to explain properly, so I finally decided to implement it.

It was so simple (like 15 minutes initially), and it ran like 100 times faster than the database. I think it took less than a day to process the CDRs and some hours to load them into the database.

Since then I haven't done anything (and that was really, really, really simple)

I want another job... I want to program again. The only problem is $$$

#3 2006-11-25 02:59 AM

biologz
Administrator

hehe i like this story. It seems you were touched by god in your dream :-) Yeah you never do what you want, personnally i'd prefer chosing a work i really like and be less paid than choosing a work i hate and be well paid. that's what i'll choose. Plus i really hate managing people because i want neither to rule or to be ruled. hehe i sound like a child believing in fairy tales...

Oh i was thinking that i love your status "Old admin" :-) an old admin hit by alzheimer and who forgot his password :-) it really suits the situation i think.

You know what? i have a solution for you. If i remember well, Rob spend his time coding in C and i'm sure he is very rich. I can tell because he buys his DVDs :-) maybe you should ask him for a job in his company.

gethostbyintuition() is still a dream of mine

-- quoted from bash

#4 2006-11-25 08:48 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

#5 2006-11-30 05:45 PM

HectorLasso
Administrator

#6 2006-12-13 12:52 AM

mlampkin
Administrator
Website

Hey Loco...

Do you know if your company does any work over in the Philippines... in particular around the Cebu City / Cebu area... ?

I'm not looking right now since I'm in Oregon / US doing a contract but... its with a 'new business initiative' group and the terms for length are 3 months + with a maximum of 1 year...

That means I will probably be looking again by the middle of next year... and while there seems to be plenty of offers for work in the US right now well... what can I say except I miss my friends ( and weather - lol ) over in the Philippines...

So I figure it can't hurt to ask... ;-)

Michael

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."

Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

#7 2006-12-13 08:46 PM

HectorLasso
Administrator

Board footer