UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-06 02:50 PM

vonaldinjo

Re: ATM NIC makes kernel panic

Hello,

I have linux with 2.4.33 kernel in a 586 computer. I have enabled ATM in the kernel (I compiled kernel myself) with most of the drivers with module support. I have a ENI-155P MF1 ATM interface card. When I booted ( for the first time after installing ATM-linux package ) kernel tried to insmod eni.o driver and there was a kernel panic. here are some parts of the error appeared.

unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address c484b640
Oops=0000
CPU=0

Code : Bad EIP value

Kernel Panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handler -not syncing.

Then the same image booted fine. In /var/log/messages I found these lines probably pointing to what happened:

kernel:PCI:Found IRQ 11 for device 00.0c.0
kernel:eni(itf0):rev0.0 base = 0x44000000,irq=11,mem=0kB(00-20-EA-00-24-2B)
kernel:eni(itf0):ASIC,MMF
kernel:eni(itf0):Couldnt get free page
kernel:uuuh. NMI received. Dazed and confused,but trying to continue. You probably have a hardware problem with your RAM chip.

with /proc/iomem there is

44000000 - 443fffff = ENI INC (155p -MF1) ASIC.

Before the reboot, whenever I ran 'aread' or my own small program which makes ATM socket, sets socket options, and binds, I get error from bind saying : NO SUCH DEVICE. That still happens. Now insmoding eni.o manually gives "unresolved symbol " error

What can I conclude here? Is the RAM chip damaged? Or is it the ATM card?
How to check? If I replace RAM chip, how straighforward is it? Everything else in the system seems to be okay. Two ethernet cards are working fine.

My ATM card is still has the green happy signal lighting on it!

vonald

#2 2006-10-06 03:01 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

Re: ATM NIC makes kernel panic

Board footer