UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-09 01:01 PM

Anonymous

Re: samba

Hi to all!

I would like to configure my box to allow from a windows sistem di
access a directory in wich there is a web site......

I have a Mandrake 9.2 installed but I have problems with
the samba configuration tool in mdk.

He continues to tell me that I can't do it for a directory that is not mine (root)

10nx!

#2 2004-06-09 01:26 PM

felix

Hi,

Try to post detailed information, because it can be by several distinct reasons...

Anyway, you can map it as owner-of-dir/file from windows and access it, or you can add the group that you log via windows to dir/file and give the correct access to ir (read, write, execute), you also can check if the permision in Samba in "create mask" and "directory mask" and in the itself share properties, else i don't know exactily if you want read or write, users and groups you are using and file/dir permissions i can't suppose nothing more  :wink:

Regards.

felix

#3 2004-06-09 01:30 PM

felix

Ahhh, i forgot, i'm in doubt if your problem is sharing it or your problem is trying to share (configure samba) from a normal user. If you are trying configure samba as a normal user i think it's not possible in DEFAULT installations, except root allow you to do it. ;)

Regards.

felix

#4 2004-06-10 06:28 PM

Anonymous

Yes I think there is something about the fact that Samba has normal
power.....

'cause now windows can access that directory and read files but can't modify them and even can't delete them.

Do I have to tell linux that samba has root powers or something else?
(....also I am new with linux......)

M

10nx again

#5 2004-06-16 03:03 PM

felix

Hi,

It depend much of your configuration. Anyway how had you configured the security option in smb.conf, do you setted it to share or user ?

If you setted it to share, all users can access it (without auth), if it's the case probability your problem is that:

* Your mask is wrong in smb.conf
* Permissions for this dir doesn't allow other users to write it (with means delete too). You can fix it with chmod...

Regards.

felix

Board footer