UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-15 08:52 PM

davidgelt

Re: Inter-Process Communication

Hi there,

I am writing a scientific application and I would like to hear a second opinion about what I'm doing.

I have an application that uses embedded database files (around ~64 MBs each) for storage. There are lots of data files (i.e. 500,000 files) and they are stored at 3 different sites on 50 machines (around 15 machines at each University). The sites are
in different countries. Each file can contain records that link to records of files on the same machine, on machines from the same network, or on machines from other sites. The structure has some similarities to a peer-2-peer network, in that each machine can be linked to any other machine. The problem is that I need to go through each of these files and process it. Before processing a file I also have to retrieve the record links from all other places (local machine, local network or remote site).

I am thinking of using 2 applications on each machine: one that retrieves the data from the other machines local network or remote sites) and sends the data to the local application that processes each file. They have to communicate with each other. I believe that sockets should be used for the first application so that it can communicate over the Internet.

For the communication mechanism between the first application and the second, I am thinking of using either shared memory or local sockets. I read a bit about shared memory and I just found that sockets can also be used between local processes so I am no longer sure which one is better. My question is: are local sockets better than shared memory for local inter-process communication?

Thanks a lot.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
David

#2 2008-09-15 10:32 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

#3 2008-09-16 04:32 PM

davidgelt

#4 2008-09-17 06:47 AM

i3839