UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

• Index
  • » C
  • » kernel values related to mmap

#1 2007-07-18 04:42 AM

tobsinte

Re: kernel values related to mmap

Hi there...

I am maitaining an archaic application which is using mmap for file transfering/routing. There are over 500 instances of the application running without any issues for almost 2 decade. Now, the problem is that the on one particular server (HP-UX 11), sometimes the mmap is failing when processing big files (size of just 8 MB). The error message I am getting is ENOMEM which corresponds to the fact that there is no sufficient memory for the mmap. But the application support folks says there is enough memory in the server and they tuned kernel maxdsiz, maxssiz but still the problem happens occassionally. Could you please let me know what other kernel values or any other things need to tuned to avoid this situation. Also, any other possible solutions are welcome.

Thanks,
Tobsinte

#2 2007-07-18 12:12 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

#3 2007-07-19 03:44 AM

tobsinte

thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will sure check these things and compare with the other servers.

500+ instances are on different servers through out the world. All on HP-UX boxes. None of them so far have ever reported the issue. One particluar server in Japan has this problem on more than one occassion in the last few months and that makes me think there is nothing wrong with the product but something wrong with the server.

#4 2007-07-19 01:48 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

If it aren't the settings nor incompetent staff, then perhaps the machine is running some other program that cause the problem, e.g. something that gobbles up lots of (shared) memory for short times.

#5 2007-07-20 11:28 AM

tobsinte

thanks for the suggestion.

I am trying to compare the HP-UX patches applied on this server with the patches applied on other servers where there is no issue (may be they left out some mmap related patches). It wont be real quick since I dont have access to the production and got to request and wait for the operation folks to get it from there. This is the last thing I can think of at this moment.

• Index
  • » C
  • » kernel values related to mmap

Board footer