UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

• Index
  • » C++
  • » Recommened data structures

#1 2006-12-18 03:40 PM

yurec

Re: Recommened data structures

Give me please some links to simple and useful tutorials for using different data structures (trees,hashes,..).I'd like to read smth about how it is built.and some advices when to use which of a structure.That may not be a complex book,just some main things each programmer must know.

#2 2006-12-18 04:19 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

#3 2006-12-18 06:04 PM

HectorLasso
Administrator

Yurec,

You want to learn to use data structures (as in a complete subject), or are you trying to solve a particular problem?

Although learning about data structures is IMHO a must, if you want to solve a particular problem and don't have enough time, then you could post the problem and probably we could help you decide on what solution might be best for you.

#4 2006-12-19 08:21 AM

yurec

Right now I have no problem,just want to know which books are recommended to learn basic structures and principles of usage each structure for different situations.(Because now I know,that array has the fastes serching(by index),but it cannot make fast insert, list has no possibility for fast serach(it has to run through  nodes) and tree is good for fast search,insert, delete and so on, but not so far as array.And of course deque and stack,but thay are specific(according FIFO and FILO)).But i find that there are a lot of another kinds of structures (especialy kinds of tree).So it's interesting which one use and in which cases.

#5 2006-12-19 03:26 PM

HectorLasso
Administrator

OK, so you want to learn about it.

I think that the links i3839 posted are pretty good. I followed some of them and found interesting information about data structures.

It can give you an overview of different data structures, their usage, advantages and disadvantages. And it has information on different tree types, and so on.

If you want to dig deeper and write code to test functionality, reference books can be found in Amazon.com.

Personally I'd first try reading what's available in Internet. There is plenty of information out there.

• Index
  • » C++
  • » Recommened data structures

Board footer