UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-28 10:18 PM

angoyal

Re: boost libraries

#2 2003-08-31 09:45 PM

mlampkin
Administrator
Website

No one that I have been able to find currently using it...

So, I guess its up to you...  try it... and do a review telling everyone the library's strengths and weaknesses...

:-)

Michael

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."

Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

#3 2003-10-03 06:33 AM

angoyal

#4 2003-11-03 11:13 PM

dmm

It is my understanding that large parts of boost are slated to become part of the standard C++ library in the next go 'round of standardization.  Just as STL is part of it already.

Just my .02 ...

#5 2003-11-11 01:11 PM

Martin.Pasdzierny

I successfully use boost::threads and boost::regex on productive systems.
Portability is a main aspect for the boost developers (including VC++6.x !) which enables me to do the work with gcc on linux and deliver VC++/windows code with reduced effort.

I learned a lot about modern (meta-)C++-programming by examining other libraries like boost::lambda, boost::mpl.

There is the  big C++ advantage having a meta-language (templates) AND typesafety AND multiple inheritance at the same time. But on the other hand   You  might end up in confusing design overkills etc.

boost  is a good starting point to learn how to use advanced C++ features efficiently.  Published code always had been reviewed before.

boost uses its own build tool (jam). I didn't understand the real reason for that.

The remaining problem is to tell Your experienced C++ collegues that interesting new C++ techniqes  are waiting to be discovered.

#6 2003-11-20 04:04 PM

Uzume
Administrator

On that note, I am hardly looking for a language flame war but I like many of the language concepts of C#.NET (and possibly other .NET enabled languages). I think allowing multiple inheritance is expensive and overkill and I very much like the tighter concept of C# 2.0+ generics over C++'s templates. Of course, C# has all the java-style implications of a virtual machine-based architecture (plus and minus), however, even in this area I believe the virtual machine is a superior design (of course it is later and hind-sight is always better).

Sorry to get off-topic there for a moments...back to your regularly-scheduled C++ and boost comments (but boost does try to add almost language like feature to C++).

Board footer