UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-02 05:55 PM

dcoder

Re: Safari Books questions

Anyone here use Safari?  I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I was thinking about getting a subscription, because I'm tired of trucking my books and fourth from work.

But the subscription rate is pretty high at $42.99 / month.  That's like buying a new book every month.  I usually buy 2 books a year and all the other information I google for or look into forums.  It seems like a lot to me.

However, I'm wondering what other people's experience has been.

#2 2010-07-12 03:26 PM

vic
Administrator
Website

I have limited access to Safari and Books 24/7 through my ACM membership, and I use both enough to make the ACM membership worth it for that alone.

I'm also finding that I use my iPad a lot more than I thought I would to avoid carting books around.  I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't have a programming gig that required it, but now I'm really happy with it. I'm happy to report that both Safari and Books 24/7 work well with the iPad.

So my advice would be to join the ACM instead.  You also get access to Element-K online training, and I really like their monthly magazine (Communications of the ACM/CACM) as well.  There are probably other benefits I'm not even aware of.  I've been a member since 1996 and always been very happy with them.

#3 2010-08-13 05:20 PM

dcoder

#4 2010-08-31 04:59 PM

johnhandsome

I think 42.99 per month is on the high side..

Board footer