UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-01 08:52 PM

RipRage

Networking Done!

Hi Gurus,

This might come as a bit of a surprise, I just wanted to post a quick message aimed at RobSeace and I3839 (if you guys remember me)... I have just recently completed my networking module at uni with scores of 90+ on all of the 5 written assignments which I'm really pleased with! I just wanted to take this opertunity to say thanks to you both, when I first discovered this forum I knew practically nothing about networking or C for that matter, hence why some of my posts are embarrassingly silly, However, your kind responses and shared knowledge helped highten my interest in the subject and which drove me to achieve high marks in areas such as TCP, UDP, ICMP, IPv4/6, DNS, ARP, DHCP, NAT, RIPv1/2, EIGRP, OSPF, STP, NDP, and so forth...

Thanks again for your time and knowledge!

Please don't stop doing what your doing! ;-)

#2 2013-10-02 08:54 AM

i3839
Oddministrator

Re: Networking Done!

Of course we remember you. Congratulations with your scores, I've no idea how
your scoring system works, but assuming 100 is the max, you did great.

As long as people come here to ask questions we'll keep answering them.
We like sharing knowledge and helping people too much to stop doing it. :-)

#3 2013-10-02 11:44 AM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Indeed, congrats!  And, good luck hopefully turning the new skills into a good job of some kind...  (Hopefully on a sane Unix-like system, and not a nightmare system like Windows!)

I still visit this site at least once every day, but lately I find that about 90% of the time it's a very brief visit, because there are usually no new posts...  (Or, maybe a couple spam posts to delete...)  Maybe it'll pick up again someday, but I don't know...

#4 2013-10-05 04:45 PM

RipRage

I3839 wrote:

I've no idea how your scoring system works, but assuming 100 is the max, you did great.

Thanks! the university I study with use a slightly different grading system, 40-54 is a pass, 55 - 69 is a 2:2, 70 - 84 2:1, 85 and over is a first, I manage to achieve, 92, 99, 97, 91, 99, its such a shame I lost just 1 mark on 2 of the assignments (confusion on a subnetting calculation, and forgetting to state that an IPv6 address was a global unicast address).. missing out on a perfect score :(.

Robseace wrote:

Hopefully on a sane Unix-like system, and not a nightmare system like Windows!

Hopefully it will be working with cisco equipment!, looking forward to configuring interfaces, routing protocols, security etc in the workplace! :), that's the hardware side of networking done for now, next week i start a software module on M$ server 2008 :( in conjunction with an introduction module on OOB programming, Unfortunately for me, the university only provide programming modules at the application level using OOB languages like Java or C#,  my interest in programming rely at the system-level, or writing API's (one of my ambitions is to have a job writing code for intermediate devices, writing network stacks from the ground up, creating new or upgrading existing routing protocols etc which give me valid reasons to keep practicing C, I still need to master advanced data structure techniques, I can implement linked lists, queues, trees, ring buffers etc, but I want to learn how to do it efficiently as possible....

Board footer