UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-02 09:57 AM

ZacharyJose

Games

Which is your favourite game?

#2 2013-05-02 12:48 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Re: Games

Well, bot or not, at least you're bringing some discussion topics to liven this dead place up a bit, anyway! ;-)

It's a tough call, but I'd probably put "Portal" and "Portal 2" as my all time favorite games...  They're just some of the most fun and funniest times I've ever had playing a game...

Prior to them coming along, I probably would've said "Doom" and "Doom 2", being the perfect epitome of single-player FPS games...  (Or, the "Quake" games for perfect multi-player FPS...  But, I'm much too old and lame to handle multi-player against other actual humans with any skill anymore...)

And, I always like to give special mention to "Mindrover", which was a brilliant game that I thoroughly enjoyed...  But, then it's basically a game about programming, so how could I not enjoy it?!  You build and program automated robotic vehicles to compete against other such vehicles in various races, fights, and other contests...  Great stuff...  I was always sad the company apparently went out of business, so there will never be a sequel...

#3 2013-05-03 07:46 AM

i3839
Oddministrator

I have to agree, Portal is bloody amazing. I haven't played Portal 2 yet.
I pretty much stopped playing games years ago when I started focusing
on Linux and programming. Now I only play once a couple years when a
friend wants me to try out a new game. I used to play too much CS. Going
further back, Monkey Island 1 and 2 are definitely on my list of favourite
games too.

I wish I discovered Mindrover, but I've never heard of it. :-/

#4 2013-05-03 12:15 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

I haven't played Portal 2 yet.

I highly recommend it if you ever get a chance...  As perfect a little game as the first game was, I think the second is even better...  (Plus, the new character of Cave Johnson is even funnier than GLaDOS, which I didn't think possible!)

I pretty much stopped playing games years ago when I started focusing
on Linux and programming.

Yeah, I do almost no PC gaming anymore; everything I play is on Xbox 360...  But, now that Steam is available for Linux (Ubuntu, at least), and Valve is porting all their stuff to Linux (no Portals yet, but I'm hopeful they'll show up soon), I've been contemplating getting a new Linux gaming rig... ;-)

I wish I discovered Mindrover, but I've never heard of it. :-/

I only discovered it because it was one of the few early games ported and released for Linux by Loki, when they were still in business...  I think LGP took over support of it, and you can actually still purchase a copy...  I can't seem to reach LGP's website right now, but it's still listed as available at Tux Games...

#5 2013-05-08 12:08 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Speaking of MindRover, I just found this KickStarter for a game which sounds almost like a modern-day remake (but, unstructured, open-world style)...  And, they're going to release on Linux, too!  I hope the KickStarter succeeds...

Board footer