UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-05 01:24 AM

RipRage

Fiber optic has finally arrived!

Hello

Sorry for the random thread, i just wanted to share my excitement. I am finally getting fiber optic broadband (sadly, not directly to my house, but from the cabinet, i just hope the remaining copper wire doesn't effect the quality of the line to much :-))

I will get an estimated 31.6 Mb down, and around 6 Mb Up. Its not amazing speed in comparison to the 80 Mb download some areas get (I blame this so called, unfair "Postcode lottery" system from ISP's) , but it sure will beat my current 2.2Mb ;-)

#2 2012-04-05 01:24 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Re: Fiber optic has finally arrived!

Cool...  We've had Verizon people try to get us on FIOS here a few times now, but so far we've been happy enough with business class Comcast cable, so we haven't switched...  We get about 30Mbps down, 11Mbps up...  Plus, the Verizon people don't seem to have any clue about business class services like static IPs, which we definitely want...  Now, if only Comcast would hurry up with their IPv6 roll-out, and give us a dual-stack setup, I'd be REALLY happy!

#3 2012-04-05 03:02 PM

RipRage

RobSeace wrote:

the Verizon people don't seem to have any clue about business class services like static IPs, which we definitely want...

I was once interested in having static IPs, but I am only on a home package and most, but not all, internet service provides only give static to business class, one exception i knew about was force9 before they got taken over by +plusnet, which i believe, are one of the worst for traffic filtering.

I am currently with Talktalk, not the best due to occasional line drops on both broadband and phone, but there cheap, and they don't seem to give a monkey about traffic management, and when they give out unlimited bandwidth, they mean unlimited bandwidth!, not this cover up where they say its unlimited but really limit it to 40 - 80 GB per month.

I am just hoping that when the engineer comes out to install the new box and test the line that i get at least 15Mb/s download speed. I am not sure how they handle things were you are Rob? but here, if you do not get over 15Mb/s on install day, they roll the whole thing out and say no, sorry you can't have it. why? i am not sure, if its due to the quality of line from the house to the cabinet being poor, i can understand, but rolling it out just because 15Mb/s doesn't match the estimated 31Mb/s i think is a little unfair considering i am only getting 2.2Mb/s...

#4 2012-04-05 08:39 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

if you do not get over 15Mb/s on install day, they roll the whole thing out and say no, sorry you can't have it.

Yeah, that seems a bit extreme...  I suppose they're worried about getting sued because you're not getting the claimed service level or something?  And, they don't want to go through the effort of charging you less for lesser service or something... *shrug*

#5 2012-04-08 05:48 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

Probably that, and if you move and the new tenant can't live with less than the
promised speed they're in trouble too. In the end it just means they don't keep
track of how fast every link is.

There is fibre optics in a few places in Amsterdam, but not nowhere near where
I live. I've been thinking about starting a small local ISP to speed it up a bit, but
it's a lot of work with high start-up costs, so it's a bit risky.

How much do you pay for it?

#6 2012-04-09 11:30 AM

RipRage

Hi i3839

i3839 wrote:

There is fibre optics in a few places in Amsterdam, but not nowhere near where
I live.

I can understand how you feel. Over here its all down to BT (British telecom) to decided where they want to install it, so for me it was just luck. Apparently they installed fiber into the local exchange back in February, but for the first three months they supply it to all there customers first and then start leasing it to other providers.

How much do you pay for it?

Well, it is suppose to be an extra 10£ per month, but as my contract was running out with my provider, they done me a deal were i would get fiber for no extra cost for the first year.

Board footer