UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-01 06:25 PM

giobaxx

Bind Error: "Cannot assign requested address"

Hello to everyone and sorry for my english...
I'm studying socket programming, and i was trying to do some very simple example
like this:

# include <strings.h>
# include <stdlib.h>
# include <netinet/in.h>
# include <stdio.h>
# include <sys/types.h>
# include <sys/socket.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
    struct sockaddr_in myself, peer;
    int peer_len = sizeof(peer);
    int b_len;

int s, i;
    char buf[1500];
    if (argc < 2) {
	fprintf (stderr, "Usage: %s port_number\n", argv[0]);
	exit(1);
    }
    if ((s=socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0))==-1) {
      perror("socket");
      exit (1);
    }

bzero((char *) &myself, sizeof(myself));
    myself.sin_family=AF_INET;
    //myself.sin_addr.s_addr=INADDR_ANY;
	myself.sin_addr.s_addr=inet_addr("10.10.10.10");
    myself.sin_port= htons(atoi(argv[1]));

if (bind(s, (struct sockaddr *) &myself, sizeof(myself))==-1) {
       perror("bind");
       exit(1);
    }

while(1){
       if (recvfrom(s, buf, sizeof(buf), 0, (struct sockaddr *) &peer, &peer_len)==-1){
           perror("recvfrom()");
           exit(1);
       }
       printf("Received packet from %s:%d\nData: %s\n\n",
       inet_ntoa(peer.sin_addr), ntohs(peer.sin_port), buf);
    }
}

When i use this command "myself.sin_addr.s_addr=INADDR_ANY" to assign an ip Address i don't have problem, but when i want to try to assign any other IP address like 10.10.10.x i receive the error  "Cannot assign requested address". and i don't know where is my error...i'm a beginner:-(
I work on a Guest LINUX Ubuntu installed in Virtual BOX

#2 2011-11-01 07:47 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Re: Bind Error: "Cannot assign requested address"

In general, you can only bind() to IP addresses that are assigned to one of your local interfaces...  (With the exception of broadcast/multicast addresses...)  Linux allows overriding this globally via "/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_nonlocal_bind", or on a socket-by-socket basis via setsockopt(IP_FREEBIND) (though that seems to be undocumented on my system, and requires manual inclusion of <linux/in.h>)...

So, I'm guessing 10.10.10.10 is not one of your interfaces' IPs...  Do "ifconfig" to see all your local interfaces and their configured IPs...

#3 2011-11-01 08:22 PM

giobaxx

:-( tanks a lot..that address(10.10.10.10) is not the address of my interface. i have to develop a very basic psuedo-NAT using DGRAM_SOCK.
Cliend sent a messagge, and Server receive a packet and change IP by some rule. After change ip address i thought to write a second server that will receive that packet, but if i cannot bind to a generical IP i can't realized. the problem is that the client and the two server(i suppose) are running on the same machine...with the same IP ADDRESS

TANKSSS!!

#4 2012-03-20 01:17 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Completely off-topic, but I just had to comment on how attractive this single thread apparently is to spam-bots!  It's amazing...  At least once a week, and usually several times per week, this one thread alone is filled with spam from "guest" users...  Just this thread, though!  This morning, I just deleted 5 spam posts to this one thread...  I don't know WTF it is about it, but the spam-bots apparently dig it...  Really damn weird...

#5 2012-03-21 01:07 AM

i3839
Oddministrator

I noticed that as well. We could try closing this thread to see if they move on or if it stops them,
out of morbid curiosity.

Board footer