UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

• Index
  • » C
  • » how to handle structure alignment for networking properly?

#1 2011-08-07 04:33 PM

thinking

how to handle structure alignment for networking properly?

hi all,

im working on a simple networking application where i ran into structure alignment problem.
to keep it simple i had a structure like this:

struct somename{
    uint8_t val1;
    uint8_t val2;
    uint8_t val3;

uin16_t val4;
};

between val3 and val4, gcc inserted a byte for alignment - which make sense
as far as i know different compilers handle this different
for example, different compiler implementations or different architectures and such
so my questions are the following:
o) what's the minimum i can be sure the implementation will handle properly?
for example on a 64bit architecture does it append also just 1 byte to be 4byte aligned or will it add 5bytes to be 8byte aligned?
you see, this is a basic quesiton im not sure of how alignment works. can i be sure that everything will be aligned to 4 bytes, also on a 8/16bit microcontroller?

o) how is such a problem solved properly?
i mean how does a networked base game handle this problem?
adding #pragma or __attribute's to prevent alignment isnt very portable
or is this just not that kind of problem which can be solved portable?

btw: using htonl can be assumend to be known

thx for help

#2 2011-08-08 01:14 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Re: how to handle structure alignment for networking properly?

what's the minimum i can be sure the implementation will handle properly?
for example on a 64bit architecture does it append also just 1 byte to be 4byte aligned or will it add 5bytes to be 8byte aligned?
you see, this is a basic quesiton im not sure of how alignment works. can i be sure that everything will be aligned to 4 bytes, also on a 8/16bit microcontroller?

Well, in theory a compiler could really do whatever the hell it wanted...  But, in practice, real compilers tend to pad based on the relative sizes of the fields to ensure alignment based on that size...  Eg: a 16-bit int will be aligned on a 2-byte address, while a 32-bit int will be aligned on a 4-byte address...  In your example struct, on a 64-bit machine, it wouldn't typically change at all...  It would only really change if you were using "long" fields, since that would grow from 32-bit to 64-bit, and so the compiler would then want to 8-byte align that rather than 4-byte align it...  Also, your struct size will typically get padded out to be a multiple of whatever the size of your largest field is...  Eg: if you stuck another char field after that short, you'd get another padding char added to make the whole struct size a multiple of 2 bytes...

how is such a problem solved properly?
i mean how does a networked base game handle this problem?
adding #pragma or __attribute's to prevent alignment isnt very portable
or is this just not that kind of problem which can be solved portable?

Well, the method for packing structures is indeed not portable among different compilers, however pretty much every compiler will have a way to do it...  So, yeah, if you have a struct which isn't naturally aligned and which you can't rearrange to make so, then yeah you're pretty much forced to pack it if you need to send it over the network...

However, the best solution is to just naturally align such structs as you design them...  Just lay out the fields so that they fall on the proper alignment spots without the need for any padding...  Or, where padding can't be avoided, put in explicit manual pad fields...  One simple approach is to just put the biggest fields at the top, and move down from there to the smallest fields...  That ensures everything will get aligned properly, and the only thing you may need to worry about is some padding chars needed at the end...  (But, depending on the exact layout of fields, you may get away with less padding by moving the chars up along with some shorts/ints, too...)

#3 2011-08-16 07:24 PM

thinking

Re: how to handle structure alignment for networking properly?

thank you, Rob
your practical knowledge is very helpful

i also noticed that gcc provides an option -Wpadded which causes a warning if a structure is padded
this can be helpful for experimentation to get a better understanding of how it works

• Index
  • » C
  • » how to handle structure alignment for networking properly?

Board footer