UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-01 06:06 PM

pareshan

Re: problem with Shell

Hi Everyone, I got the task writting Korn Shell script to automate the tuxedo login so that users neednot have to enter options manually. I have done that using expect tool from the Unix but my manger told me its not secure so you have to do that using Kornshell without using Expect. Here is the way to login to that tuxedo account
1> first we have to ssh to the unix server and from there we have to do
get_in_tux.csh account_name

2> it will prompt
To continue press ENTER ...
3> after enter we will get
JULIET: Press Enter to continue ...

4> after enter it will prompt for
     JULIET - Your Tuxedo Administrator   C.P: Main menu
Main menu:

(1)  DB handling ->
(2)  Tuxedo handling ->
(3)  CAS handling ->
(4)  Client operations ->
(5)  Logs ->
(6)  General utilities ->
(7)  Help ->
(8)  WebLogic handling ->
(9)  What's new ...

(0)   Quit JULIET

Please select option :

here we can choose either of these options

s for to go to shell
and 0 (zer0) for logout

I know its a big problem but I am really in big trouble. So I need such a script which can automate all this steps so that we dont need to provide those options and we can directly enter into those account and logout if needed sitting in the remote server.

Thank You In advance
Any help will be appreciated

#2 2008-12-01 08:33 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Your manager is crazy...  Expect is no less (or more) secure than ksh...  I don't even
know what that means in the context of a script for a controlled login process like this,
anyway...  Secure in what way??  Is he worried about the remote system you're
logging into sending malicious data?  If so, I think you can handle that just as well
(or as hard) from an expect script as from a shell script...  In fact, I'd guess expect is
far better suited to handle it well...  It is explicitly designed for the task, after all, unlike
a generic shell...

I'd really try very hard to convince him expect is the way to go...  But, failing that (some
people just won't listen to reason), it sounds like you'd have quite a bit of work to make
things work from just a shell script...  If you need to login via password, then you
will probably need to create a local pseudo-tty somehow so that you can send it to
the local ssh, since I suspect it will only read from the tty not stdin...  How to do that
without expect from just the shell, I'm not sure...  You could do it from your own C
program, of course, but I'm not sure how that'd be any better than just using expect...
But, if you can use ssh auth keys to login without any password required, then you
might be able to pull it off...  It'll still be ugly, though...  And, I don't know if  your remote
menu app is a full-blown curses interface or simple printf() and fgets() type deal...
The latter would be much easier to deal with from a simple shell script...  The former
would require you handle/ignore terminal escape sequences and such...  And,
somehow you need to both pipe INTO and OUT OF ssh from the shell script...  I'm
not sure right offhand how to do that from a script without something that gives you
a pseudo-tty like expect...  Perhaps 2 named pipes (FIFOs), one you'd ssh's stdin
from and the other its stdout to...  Then, your script would read from the latter and
write to the former...  That may or may not actually work as expected, though...

Basically, you're trying to use the wrong tool for the job, and it's a really bad idea...
I can't imagine how any sane person thinks such a kluge job is going to end up
being better or more secure than using the proper tool for the job... *shrug*

#3 2008-12-01 09:05 PM

pareshan

thanks for ur reply RobSeace. I know what you are talking about even I do have the same thought about it. Only problem there I think I have to give password in that expect script so its visible to everyone. Eventhough I have ssh authorised key to login between two servers when I use with that tuxedo account It will ask for password so it will be visible in the code.

Another method what I have tried here is i tried to edit that
get_in_tux.csh file which is needed to login to that account as he wanted.
and tried to avoid those steps like
pressing enter twice and giving options like s or 0 as I mentioned in the problem but I really dont have clue how to do it. I dint see the place where I can write the scripts to skip those steps.  I can provide that script if that will be helpful.
Thank YOu

#4 2008-12-02 12:27 AM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Only problem there I think I have to give password in that expect script so its visible to everyone.

That's got nothing to do with expect, though...  If you have to give it there, you'd also
have to give it from a shell script or anyplace else...  So, if that's what's meant by
the insecurity, then it has nothing to do with using expect, and the same exact insecurity
will remain no matter how you do it...

Eventhough I have ssh authorised key to login between two servers when I use with that tuxedo account It will ask for password so it will be visible in the code.

What asks for the password: ssh or the remote app/script you run?  If the latter, then
I guess that's just the way it has to work for whatever reason, and ANY method you
use will always have to store the password in the clear...  But, if it's ssh prompting,
then it sounds like you don't actually have authorized keys setup properly to allow
password-free logins...  Check the permissions on the "~/.ssh/*" files on both ends;
ssh can be very anal about perms...  Check the syslog on the server side to see if
it says why it's rejecting your auth key and forcing password login instead...  Maybe
run "ssh -v" to see if it says anything about why, as well...  But, if you get it setup
properly, you should be able to login with an auth key with no password prompting
necessary...  Of course, the user on the client end that your script will be running
as will need access to the private key, which will have to be stored unencrypted with
no passphrase in order to allow such automated usage, which means that practically,
it's nearly as bad as a hard-coded plain-text password, anyway...  Nearly, because
it's limited to access by the user that script runs as, rather than available to anyone
with read permission to the script...  So, a bit better, still...  But, the simple fact boils
down to: if you want automated logins of this sort, you are already saying you want
to give up some security, anyway...  There's never going to be an automated way to
login somewhere which is equally secure as doing so manually via the user typing
a password/passphrase stored only in their mind...  (Of course, most users tend to
be rather careless with their passwords too, writing them down, telling them to others,
etc., so in the end, the automated method, especially one using an auth key instead
of password, might actually work out to be more secure than an account under manual
control of the average user... ;-))

#5 2008-12-02 04:28 PM

pareshan

when i do
ssh servername ===> then it doesnt ask for password but

when i do ssh servername -l tuxedo_account_name
it ask for the password. Initially I thought its asking for the password of the server but in fact its password for that tuxedo account.

but when I do ssh servername only and login to that server and from there
if i do
get_in_tux.csh tuxedo_account_name

then it doesnt ask for the password it goes directly as I previously mentioned in the problem. thats why I have tried to edit that get_in_tux.csh file but I have no clue how to do it and whats happening there coz If i can skip those three manual steps
pressing ENTER twice and selecting some options like s and o i will be done.

this file contains this script

Get_IN_TUX.CSH

! /usr/local/bin/tcsh -f
setenv acct "${1}"
setenv JUL_BLUE_MASTER `ll -d ~${acct}/scripts/JULIET |awk -F/ '{print $7}'`
echo $JUL_BLUE_MASTER
##############################################################################
# Name: inside_terror.csh
# Description: Do inside terror from permitted foreign user .
# Supervisor: OFER ALT
#
# Change History
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Revision No.  Date      Time                By
# Changes#New Features
#--------------+--------+-------------------+---------------------------------
# $Log:        .login,v $
# Revision 1.1  94/05/30  15:05:04  15:05:04  olntux (olntux)
# Initial revision
#
#
##############################################################################

# set echo

if ($?JUL_PID_FILE) then
   echo $$ > $JUL_PID_FILE
endif

set permited_user = `whoami`
#set permited_user = "jg3188"
setenv MASTER_CLIENT "CLIENT"
set userName = `ps -fp $$ | tail -1 | awk ' {print $1}'`
setenv HOME "`echo ~${acct}`"

if ("$1" == "-register") then
        shift
        if ("$MASTER_CLIENT" == "MASTER") then
                if (`cat ~/.clients_list | tr ' ' '\012' | grep -c '^'"${userName}"'$'` == 0) echo -n "${userName} " >>! ~/.clients_list
                exit(0)
        else
                echo "ERROR : tuxguns is not MASTER account"
                exit(1)
        endif
endif

if (("$userName" != "$permited_user") && ("$userName" != "$JUL_BLUE_MASTER")) then
        echo "Sorry , your permission is not sufficient to run this ."
        echo "Contact your TUXEDO administrator ."
        exit(1)
endif

setenv WHERE_CSH `which csh`
cd $HOME
setenv remote "~/scripts/inside_remote"
setenv terror "~/scripts/inside_terror"
if (-e ${remote}) then
echo "Working with $remote"
$remote mq
else
echo "$remote not found trying $terror"
if (-e ${terror}) then
echo "Working with $terror"
$terror mq
else
echo "No sutable script found"
endif
endif

#6 2008-12-02 10:02 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

when i do
ssh servername ===> then it doesnt ask for password but

when i do ssh servername -l tuxedo_account_name
it ask for the password. Initially I thought its asking for the password of the server but in fact its password for that tuxedo account.

Right, so you don't have that "tuxedo_account_name" user setup for passwordless
login, then...  You have some other account (whatever you're logged in as locally,
most likely) setup for passwordless login, instead...  Ie: you need to copy your
"authorized_keys" file from whatever account it's on now to "~tuxedo_account_name/.ssh/"...

As for that evil CSH script, I'm not even going to try to parse it... ;-)

#7 2008-12-02 11:30 PM

pareshan

yeah you are right but I have copied that authorized_keys from local server to the .ssh inside that tuxedo_account on the remote server and its still not working. Actually there was no .ssh inside that i have created and copied into that. I think it wont work inside that otherwise It should work after I have copied inisde that

#8 2008-12-03 01:34 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Like I said before: check the permissions on the ".ssh" dir and all files under it...
The sshd server can be VERY anal about correct permissions, and will simply ignore
files it thinks have too liberal permissions set...  Look in the syslog on the server, and
you'll likely find it complaining about the permissions, or at least it should tell you why
it's not letting you use the auth key and forcing password auth instead...  Also, you
might try to do what I suggested and try "ssh -v" to see if that gives any hint as to why
the auth key isn't accepted...

#9 2008-12-03 04:58 PM

pareshan

While Searching I found out about Coprocess.
Coprocesses are a way of starting a separate process which runs
asychronously, but has stdin/stdout connected to the parent script via pipes.

RobSeace do you have any idea about it?? You think that can solve my problem because im blank about this.

#10 2008-12-03 11:14 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

I assume you mean ksh co-processes as started by "|&"?  Yeah, if your script is a
ksh script, then sure that might work similarly to the FIFO approach I also mentioned,
without the need to create your own named pipes...  But, I still don't know how well
that'll work with ssh, either... *shrug*  If you're using ksh, give it a try, I guess...

But, I still think you need to beat some sense into whoever forbid the use of the
proper tool for the job: expect...  They're not going to end up with anything more
"secure" by kluging up a shell script to accomplish the same job in a far more
round-about and non-intuitive manner...

Board footer