UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

• Index
  • » General
  • » How to clone a bootable Linux machine?

#1 2008-11-13 08:41 PM

felix

Re: How to clone a bootable Linux machine?

#2 2008-11-13 09:06 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Wow...  I can't believe you'd have a critical system without regular backups of some
sort...  (Not just the backup duplicate system, but actual hard drive backups of some
kind, as well...)

When you're talking about getting hard drive errors, is that with the old system that
broke down already, or the backup system?  If it's the latter, well you may be in
trouble... ;-/  If it's only the original, then hopefully all you need to do is what you
tried to do with the original...  The simple "dd" should work, I think...  Failing that, the
reinstall followed by "cp -a" approach should work...

But, I'm confused: you say you couldn't mount /dev/hda3, so how did you do the
"cp -a" at all??  Or, were you just copying hda1 at the time?  (And, did you try leaving
off the "-t ext3" to mount, and see if it could auto-guess the FS type?  Maybe it's not
ext3? *shrug*)

As for the odd disk geometry mismatch, I'm not sure...  But, have you checked all
the relevent BIOS settings to make sure they match between the systems?

Sorry I can't be of much help...  Hardware/sysadmin issues like this are really not
my thing...  I try to avoid dealing with hardware issues as much as possible... ;-)

#3 2008-11-13 10:08 PM

felix

Hi RobSeace,

First of all, thank you for your fast reply. :)

Yes, backup is a problem, when I arrived at the company the system already exist and it's blackbox systems, no documentation, etc. I and belive it have some kind of protection to do no clone it, because older emplouys spoke if you retrive the HD and put in another exactly hardware it will not boot. Anyway, it's all we have, no only one working machine. And yes, I need to do this job just to create a backup/duplicate this system in the case of this fail.

The hard drive errors are from the old system that broke down, but the backup also is not a new machine, so I suspect it's not 100%.

I already had "dd" the backup system, from a 20GB Maxtor to a BRAND NEW 160GB HD. But it do not work (boot).

I'm a little scarryed of use "cp -a" again, because at this point where all stoped work...

Yes, I can't mount /dev/hda3, so I only made "cp -a" from the hda1, where is the root system. I tried mount /dev/hda3 without "-t ext3" but it fail in the same way. :(

Strange, not?

Yes, the curious about disk geometry, is that both HD are equals, and if I create parition using fdisk they have one geometry, if I use diskdruid it use another geometry, very strange (at last for me).

No problem, you are more than welcome, your feedback is always appreciated.

Some more ideas? Do you know a more professional program to clone bootable partitions/whole HD which deal with geometry, mbr, etc?

Thank you so much.

Regards

#4 2008-11-13 10:49 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

#5 2008-11-15 09:32 AM

i3839
Oddministrator

#6 2008-11-26 09:01 PM

felix

Hi RobSeace and i3839,

All worked, the big problem really was the other Hard Disk was completely damaged, so was impossible to recover from it.

With the other HD, i just clonned it with dd, used fsck and reinstalled grub and all worked fine.

Thank you so much for you hot tips. :)

Now we are able to reproduce the system and create a backup.

Now my task is finished, I started to look at the application, how it works, etc. It used a library to create the graphical interface which I never had heard before, it's called "Allegro Datafile".

I seen in this datafile you can put the sounds, images, etc. So I had think, if the company who created this application do not exist anymore (no support, no development, no nothing) I will try to custom the graphical user interface with our logotype and company music.

I had looked at internet but could find any editor for already created datafile.

The unix "file" command return:

data1.dat: Allegro datafile (not packet / autodetect).

Not be packed make me believe it's possible to be edited, right?

Someone have experience with it? Suggest me some tool? some trick how to do it?

Based on system libraries, I believe it use version 4.0 of Allegro Datafile.

Someone know a way to edit resources inside a allegro datafile (.dat)?

Thanks again and sorry for inconvenience.

Chers

#7 2008-11-26 09:56 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

#8 2008-12-18 04:50 PM

felix

#9 2009-12-17 10:17 AM

Naguellegange

Okay... so I got everything running. Time Machine works great on my new EX490 and was able to fully restore a computer today. However, now that I am centralizing all my data the only thing that I am missing is backups of the actual server.

Is there a solution that incrementally backs up changes just like time machine for WHS? I am looking to purchase 2 more drivers or possibly an external drive for off-site backup but I would like to be able to have WHS monitor for file changes every hour just like Time Machine.

Thanks

#10 2013-06-02 07:26 PM

prasad

hai i have linux red hat system. my probelum error coming (r system:unexpected inconsistency:run fsck manually) how can repair this system. i have a no cd.please help

#11 2013-06-04 11:20 AM

i3839
Oddministrator

Prasad, contact Red Hat for support.

(But if it's a different disk than your boot disk you can run fsck manually as root after boot-up.
If it's your root disk then you might be able to run fsck from initrd, if Red Hat installed it there.
If you have a RAID then perhaps look at that first.)

• Index
  • » General
  • » How to clone a bootable Linux machine?

Board footer