UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

• Index
  • » General
  • » how to bring linux machine to multi-user mode

#1 2008-11-05 04:20 PM

Jana

Re: how to bring linux machine to multi-user mode

HI
I given follwoing commnad to bring linux machine to single user mode

$init 1

After that Console got deleted and I got blank screen and machine hanged up.

How can I get machine to previous mode(multi-user mode) when nothing appearing on the screen ? Is there any command to get back to previous mode ?

Thanks.

#2 2008-11-05 09:21 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

You can try "telinit 3" or "telinit 5", depending on which runlevel it was in previously...
(3 is typically non-GUI multi-user, and 5 is GUI multi-user...)  Or, simply exit the
single-user login shell...  (Or do "shutdown -r" or CTRL-ALT-DEL...)

Typically, the way I get to single-user mode is to reboot, bring up the grub menu,
and append "single" to the boot params...  That'll boot you straight into a single-user
root shell...  I never trust on-the-fly runlevel-switching to do it right, but maybe I'm
just paranoid... *shrug*

#3 2008-11-06 12:59 AM

i3839
Oddministrator

A totally blank screen is not good, it probably means something went wrong with X.
Or that nothing is run at runlevel 1. Just reboot with ctrl+alt+del. If that doesn't
work either X probably did crash, either bringing the rest down with it, or still
grabbing all input.

See also /etc/inittab for what happens for each runlevel.

The way I go into single user mode is by appending init=/bin/bash in Grub,
but that probably doesn't work with your system. I thought that appending "S"
was the more common way than "single" though.

#4 2008-11-06 03:21 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

The way I go into single user mode is by appending init=/bin/bash in Grub

That's not really single-user mode in the traditional sense of the term...  That's just
completely replacing "init" with a bash instance...  So, none of the single-user init
scripts get run, or anything like that...  However, it IS the standard way of getting in
when normal single-user mode prompts for root password, and you don't know or
have forgotten it... ;-)

I thought that appending "S" was the more common way than "single" though.

Yeah, "s", "S", "1"; I'm pretty sure they all work...  I just always do "single" for some
reason...  Probably one of those things that just got ingrained in me early on, and
now I always do it that way out of habit...

#5 2008-11-07 01:59 AM

i3839
Oddministrator

I only do init=/bin/bash to fix up the init scripts (I'm using a static /dev while my
distro moved on to udev for a while, so I need to fixup the scripts after a system
update often, as they've all kind of assumptions that aren't true for my modified
system. I do run udevd for the dynamic stuff, just not at bootup).

If the init system works I can just boot normally and I don't need to go to real
single-user mode.

#6 2009-01-07 04:51 PM

kevin99

RobSeace;25408 wrote:

You can try "telinit 3" or "telinit 5", depending on which runlevel it was in previously...
(3 is typically non-GUI multi-user, and 5 is GUI multi-user...)  Or, simply exit the
single-user login shell...  (Or do "shutdown -r" or CTRL-ALT-DEL...)

Typically, the way I get to single-user mode is to reboot, bring up the grub menu,
and append "single" to the boot params...  That'll boot you straight into a single-user
root shell...  I never trust on-the-fly runlevel-switching to do it right, but maybe I'm
just paranoid... *shrug*

This is what I do..

#7 2013-11-07 05:52 AM

LINUX

Hi,
    I got one problem, i'm new to linux. We had one server (multi user server). all were using it, but i gave "init 1" in my console, now all console hanged up, how to make it proper. I have closed my console in urgency. Now in my system also also its not opening.

Please help with solution,

rgds,
linux

• Index
  • » General
  • » how to bring linux machine to multi-user mode

Board footer