UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-12 03:11 PM

mlampkin
Administrator
Website

Re: Two external monitors on a laptop

Ok... maybe someone has tried the following and knows the answer...

I have a new laptop that has both a vga port AND an hdmi port... now of course running a single ( extra ) monitor via the vga port works ( already have that set up ) but...

Does anyone have a laptop with similar ports AND running two external monitors i.e. laptop screen, ext monitor on vga port and ext monitor on hdmi port with each one showing individual views ( not mirroring ) ?

Btw - the laptop is running Vista 'Home Premium' - which is another reason for asking... I am still not 100% familiar with the OS and don't know if there are additional restrictions due to it...

Also... monitors with hdmi are bit more expensive and I don't currently own one... so I don't want to spend the money on one until I know it will be usable for certain...

** edit / add

Almost forgot... I am aware of things such as the Matrox box that takes an single vga input and provides two outputs - and makes it so that two external monitors appear as a single 'wide screen' one... but I am trying to avoid that and actually use the individual vga and hdmi ports ( only ) that are available to me without additional equipment...

Thanks -

Michael

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."

Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

#2 2008-05-12 07:30 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

That depend on the hardware. Basically you need a graphics chip that provides two
external ports. But it's more likely that it only provides one external port which
goes to both the vga and hdmi ports, or to a chip that can output both. Suffice to
say that if your laptop supported two independent monitors it would be likely
advertised as such, so wouldn't count on it. But if that's the case you should see
in the graphics setup an option for connecting two external monitors.

#3 2008-05-12 07:57 PM

mlampkin
Administrator
Website

Sigh...

I just had to do a complete re-install... which included updating the ATI Catalyst control panel... so now I see the option for a second ( and only a second ) monitor...

Don't know if this is a limitation of the software or the chipset... guess I will have to dig thru the specs...

But I really do like having / want a 3 monitor setup... oh well...

Michael

#4 2008-05-20 05:44 AM

mlampkin
Administrator
Website

Ok... if anyone is interested...

The ATI 3650 series only does 2 outputs...

Additionally the 'splitter' in the Asus M50(Sa) laptops appears only to do replication i.e. same pic in reference to the VGA and HDMI ports... in other words 'shared'...

:(

So my dreams of a 3 monitor set-up on a laptop continues to be on hold... but hey - I just ordered a new 22" Samsung to hook to the thing so maybe the extra real estate ( my old ones are 19's / 1280x1023 and the new is a 1680 ) will be enough for me...

Final note...

I mentioned I re-installed Vista on the 12th... because the system kept crashing... it is still not as reliable as I would wish BUT...

There were updates to MS Office 2007 on the 13th... since those were applied it seems to be much less of an issue... I can actually go serveral hours typically before everything goes kaboom for no reason !

In fact I have a record today... 9 hours so far without a random reboot !

Oh and again...

I know it is NOT the Asus laptop... stress tested all components with no issues ( stand-alone testers - not via Windows )... and when I had Linux on it and tested via that - no issues... the truth is I like this lil beast of a laptop enough I am considering getting another and putting a *NIX distrib on it - just need to find / write a fingerprint access driver :)

Michael

Board footer