UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

• Index
  • » General
  • » How to extract/modifty a firmware .bin file?

#1 2008-05-06 02:31 AM

felix

Re: How to extract/modifty a firmware .bin file?

#2 2008-05-07 03:50 AM

mlampkin
Administrator
Website

Oh Felix...

Always questions... and more questions... ;-)

Here is the deal... bin files / images are just that... binary data that is handled by some other utility and / or know procedure... they can literally contain ANYTHING...

On that note... and considering rom replacements / updates...

Some images are compressed e.g. zip, bz, bz2 and  tar files... ok -tar technically is NOT compression but you get the idea... that means common tools available can 'open' them...

On the other hand... sometimes the images also have encryption built into them... so that a proprietary program has to be used to unscramble them before installation... which means you really have to trace the installer's code and not the bin file to figure out what is going on...

This last bit can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer... and even between different versions / releases by the same manufacturer...

Now this might seem 'unfair'...

But e.g. Marvell aquired the PXA technology i.e. chips used in a lot of PDAs... they did a number of enhancements and want to keep some parts secret - its how they make their money after all... so companies using the new chips are REQUIRED to encode their bins / images to meet non-disclosure agreements and such...

I realize none of that answers your question(s)... but here is a hint that probably won't get me in trouble... get something like ethereal / wireshark... if the AP allows you to do ethernet updates then you may very well be able to turn on sniffing on that wire, do the update and grab the decoded version of the update....

There are also tricks for doing the same thing thru USB etc. ( heck - a pair of USB<->ETH boxes sitting on both ends with the sniffer in the middle would let you do it... )...

Yes... its not an exact solution... just pointing you at possibilities...

Michael

P.S. I am a webmaster now... so sad :(

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."

Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

#3 2008-05-08 01:32 AM

felix

Hi mlampkin,

Thank you for your reply. :)

Yes, doubts and more doubts, I'm a men with a lot of doubts in my head... but maybe I'm a little normal... hehe

Well, it doesn't appear fair. I made a test against my AP, and it simple upload the file via a normal http form, so the image goes exactly as it is in the file, and all the decription stuff is inside the AP, which I have no console (ssh or whatever) access...:(

Thank you for information and ideas, if I get some news I update here.

ps: Lol, Webmster? Things really change...

Regards

• Index
  • » General
  • » How to extract/modifty a firmware .bin file?

Board footer