UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-30 01:08 PM

niek

Re: Good US University

Hi,

I am planning to study in the US later, when I am old & grown-up :P

But which University is a good one ?

Of course the first one that crosses my mind, is Berkely (california). Because they developed one of the most fantastic Operating Systems ever build: BSD :)

That's the only University I know, too ... So, is there someone who can tell me some things about it ?
I am planning to study something in the IT. Like programming and stuff.

Regards,
Niek

#2 2008-01-30 02:09 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

Your best bet would probably be to go to a Dutch university (University of
Eindhoven isn't that bad as far as I know, and seems to be near you), and
then go for one or more years to a US one with a scholarship. That way, they
pay the exorbitant high fees for you, and you've grades to show which makes it
easier to let them accept you (or harder). Or have filthy rich parents, that's a
possibility too.

#3 2008-01-30 02:27 PM

niek

i3839;23576 wrote:

Your best bet would probably be to go to a Dutch university (University of
Eindhoven isn't that bad as far as I know, and seems to be near you), and
then go for one or more years to a US one with a scholarship. That way, they
pay the exorbitant high fees for you, and you've grades to show which makes it
easier to let them accept you (or harder). Or have filthy rich parents, that's a
possibility too.

TU/e  (Technical University / eindhoven) is a good one, i know. (I live in Eindhoven).

But the reason I wan't to study in the US, is because I don't want to go back. Planning to live there.  I went to Nevada, Arizona etc. (Las Vegas rocks :) ) past holiday. That was really great, and when I was 10, we went to Florida.

Simple version: I Love The States :)

What university's are good one's near you ? Or that you know ?   (I thought you lived in America, not ? )

#4 2008-01-30 02:28 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

It's been a long time since I did any research into the comparitive merits of different
colleges, so I'm unlikely to be of much help...  At the time I was heading to college, I
focused on finding a place relatively nearby, which didn't cost an arm and a leg to
attend, and which had a good CS program...  I eventually just went with the local
state college (University of New Hampshire, in this case), which I learned had
one of the top-ranked CS programs in the country, at the time, and was cheap and
relatively close...  I'm not sure how their CS program holds up these days, though...
But, back then, it was really great...

Of course, there are many top-of-the-line colleges, like MIT, CalTech, Berkeley,
etc., if you have the grades and money to get into one, and don't mind moving to
go to them (or already happen to live nearby)...  I'm sure their CS programs are
superb...  But, the point is, you might be surprised to find nearly as great programs
available from much smaller, cheaper, and easier to get into colleges, as well...
You probably should basically pick the region you want to live in first, then look
closely at colleges in that area, and compare things you care about (such as good
CS programs)...  You might want to buy access to something like US News' college rankings
to help with the comparisons...

#5 2008-01-30 03:09 PM

niek

Don't say you might was not helpfull.. It was !

The region I probably wanna live in, is the west. Like Nevada, California etc. I'll look to the difference between the states to compare them and look which one I wanna live.

also I have to learn better english. I speak it really good, but when I've to write (or typ) it is sooo bad :(

#6 2008-01-30 04:48 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

Not really, more like Amsterdam (CS at UvA). But if you want to stay living there
it's a totally different matter. Choosing the area first like Rob said is a good idea.
I think it's probably also good to apply to multiple universities, in case you aren't
accepted by some of them.

#7 2008-01-30 07:29 PM

jfriesne
Administrator
Website

I studied Computer Science at UC San Diego and thought it was quite good... they have one of the better CS programs, and it doesn't hurt that they are practically across the street from the beach either ;^)

Jeremy

#8 2008-02-01 05:40 PM

niek

jfriesne;23581 wrote:

and it doesn't hurt that they are practically across the street from the beach either ;^)

haha :D

San Diego, eh ? Hmm .. Looks like I've a busy time to find it out, 'cause i've to go there in about 2 years.

I don't know if the ages are different they start at an university,so, what's the avarage age for a first year student ?

#9 2008-02-01 07:07 PM

jfriesne
Administrator
Website

niek;23610 wrote:

I don't know if the ages are different they start at an university,so, what's the avarage age for a first year student ?

Hmm.... 18-20, I'd say.

-Jeremy

Board footer