UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-08 04:06 PM

biologz
Administrator

Re: Forum read

Hi,

well i don't want to bother you but i'm obliged ;-). Until yesterday, i received an email when there was an answer in a thread i submitted to. But i chose not to receive an email and since then, sometimes the forum become "read" whereas i haven't read new messages.

I mean it just happened right now, i saw there was new thread so i came on the  channel and the threads were marked "read" whereas there was answers i hadn't read yet...

strange, can you investigate on that please because i really don't want my mailbox to be filled with "RobSeace replied..."

thx :-)

gethostbyintuition() is still a dream of mine

-- quoted from bash

#2 2007-03-08 07:00 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

It's a bit delicate. The forum has several ways of keeping track which messages are read and which not.

One is the imprecise method currently used, which more or less assumes everything posted while you visit the forum is read by you. It also automatically marks messages as read after a while.

The other way updates the DB immediately when you read a message as read, and should be precise. I think it hadn't the automatic read behaviour.

There was a third way IIRC, but I forgot the details. I may also be mixing the old and the new forum software behaviour. Anyway, last time I changed it from the imprecise method to the precise one, all messages were marked as not read and it was a general disaster. So I changed it back again and everyone was happy. We can try again if you want...

Receiving notification emails when you didn't want to receive those is another matter orthogonal to this. Check your account options to make sure that everything is as it should be. Also when posting new posts make sure that you didn't enable the subscribe or whatever it's called option for that thread.

#3 2007-03-08 07:54 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

No, I hated the other method we switched to for a while... ;-/  This current method
seems to work fine for me...

How are you finding new posts to read, biologz?  What I always do is just click on
the New Posts link at the top of the page...  And, after I've read/replied to everything,
I click it again to catch any new posts while I've been reading/typing...  I don't think
I've ever had that miss anything on me...

#4 2007-03-08 08:50 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

Yep, I do the same. At worst posts I've already read show up as unread for me, but not often enough to be annoying.

#5 2007-03-09 10:04 AM

biologz
Administrator

Well as for me i go on the main page: Unix Socket FAQ and search for "orange threads" :-) Then i go in the "orange" channels and read the new messages.

But anyway, let's try again during a few period and if it happens too often, i'll tell you on this thread.

Thank you guys

-- quoted from bash

#6 2007-03-09 10:18 AM

biologz
Administrator

It works fine for the moment plus i love the "New posts" menu i haven't noticed it before.

Thx

-- quoted from bash

Board footer