UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-01 11:05 AM

biologz
Administrator

Re: Ashamed

Hi everybody,

As i want to be totally honest and transparent with people here i have to tell you something:

I work for a big french TV channel (the most silly i think) that made an add for microsoft wondoze vista (2min30 sec). They collaborate with Bill gates who is today visiting the company...

I work in the security department and 99,99% of the computers are running windoze. My colleagues don't even know the basic of UNIX and they think they are a great security team.

So now you can hate me because that's what i'm doing.

DAMNED it's so good to say it.

gethostbyintuition() is still a dream of mine

-- quoted from bash

#2 2007-02-01 01:36 PM

yurec

Really I don't understand why somebody may hate you.I use WinXP and have not reinstalled it for more than 2 years.As for me I like MFC and WINAPI very much.And MSDN was my favourite thing to read for months.Is it very bad?Shall I  get to hell for tht great fualt? ))

#3 2007-02-01 01:51 PM

biologz
Administrator

Well i'm nobody to judge you but i'd say that you're worse than me :-) at least i'm aware of the fact that i'm doing a bad job.

Anyway i don't want to start a debate about windoze and unix, it would be pointless. I just needed to express my feelings, my frustrations and my shame :-)

-- quoted from bash

#4 2007-02-01 02:09 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Nah, we all do things we don't like sometimes...  Especially just to earn a living...
But, if you really don't like it, you'd be well advised to look for better work elsewhere,
doing something you enjoy...  Otherwise, you'll just remain miserable...

However, yurec is another matter...  Liking MFC and WinAPI??  Have you gone mad,
man?!?  I mean, sure, different strokes for different folks and all, but some things are
just too horrid to be even tolerated, let alone to believe anyone actually LIKES... ;-)
I mean, I've been accused of being a bit of a masochist myself sometimes, but even
I am horrified at the thought of having to write Windoze code...  Do you also enjoy
sticking red-hot pokers in your eyes and nailing your legs to the floor, by any chance? ;-)

#5 2007-02-01 03:01 PM

yurec

You remind me I wrote smth like the simplest editor for databases, that was able to find all connections between tables in any table,odbc can work with.So It might be very similar to MS Acces (and the main feature was going to be a graphic database map of table's connections(primary keys,foreighn keys - you all know)).Sometimes I was sitting  and looking at my reflection in a window smiling,but not beating my head in the wall or breaking my monitor.It was like some phlosophy... Sitting and being in thought  ... This month nobody could make me angry.I was so calm and steadfast ).However I didn't finish that very intersting project and start learning POSIX api.I got many questions and found that there are some guys here,who are almost guru in c, netwok programming and so on.. And I'm happy and thankful for your help.Really appreciate you all :)

#6 2007-02-01 03:17 PM

biologz
Administrator

Lol after sadness, here is poetry and melancholy :-)

This channel is a kind of therapy for geeks, please never close it Rob.

-- quoted from bash

#7 2007-02-01 07:38 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

I don't care what you guys use or do, that's your problem, not mine. ;-)

But if you're unhappy with your current work, then yes, do what Rob says and find another job...

#8 2007-02-02 08:25 AM

yurec

Everything is fine for the moment.As for me,I work,study,and get pleasure of it.

#9 2007-08-05 09:16 AM

mlampkin
Administrator
Website

Just read this ( the board is slow - so going thru old msgs )...

Don't feel bad...

My current contract... co-worker says "we both know Linux / * NIX drivers ... we both kinda know CE / mobile drivers... so you get to handle the questions on the XP drivers..."

>>sigh<<

While personally a bit depressing ( being a big POSIX supporter )... I can now say that I am getting back up to speed on Window's drivers... and the new arch for Vista... not to mention learning CE deployment ( pxa270, ixp425 )... and so on...

Btw - self promotion coming - check out the Intel R1000 - thats my current project ( assist / now lead / app & lib software )...  a real product!  Not to mention yet another Frost & Sullivan award... the 5th award ( of just THAT award ) for companies & projects I have worked on for the past 7 years...

Not too shabby... eh ?!  Now if I could just hit a company with good stock / options & retire !!! 

;-)

Michael

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."

Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

#10 2007-08-05 11:15 AM

i3839
Oddministrator

So you're working on the software side of their UHF RFID Transceiver R1000? Do you do the signal processing stuff in software, or is it handled by the chip and you focus more on making the whole useful/accessible for users?

Board footer