UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-16 02:45 PM

biologz
Administrator

Re: Need to be aprooved

Hi,

i just tried to post an answer on the TOPIC (binding 2 sockets on a single port) but i had a message saying my post had to be approved before being visible...

am i banned or something? :-)

gethostbyintuition() is still a dream of mine

-- quoted from bash

#2 2007-01-16 05:02 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

Eh, no, the forum software was upgraded and we have some new mods as well, one of which tries to reduce spam on the forum. At least I, and I think other mods as wel, don't really know what it does or how it works yet, so it's all a big surprise for everyone.

So no panic.

(Looking at your post I'd say it was because you posted an url. I didn't found out yet how to approve posts, or how to disable this thing for replies altogether.)

#3 2007-01-16 05:14 PM

biologz
Administrator

ouf :-)

Ok so everything's gonna be alright. Let us know when posting URL become available again.

i take advantage of that post to repeat that this forum is wonderful, and so the admins are :-)

-- quoted from bash

#4 2007-01-16 07:54 PM

vic
Administrator
Website

The anti-spam thing learns, so just keep posting as usual and it should learn that you're an ok dude and let your URLs through.

#5 2007-01-16 09:17 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

And, eventually, it'll learn enough to become sentient, and decide to launch nukes
at France because of some joke biologz makes in a future post someday... ;-)

It'd be great if there were some way to only target this spam-filter thingy at newbies
(say less than 10 posts, or something)...  It's kind of a waste of processing power
(and presumably network bandwidth, assuming it talks to their servers, or is it all
local?) to feed old-timers' posts through it, since they're unlikely to suddenly decide
one day to start spamming... ;-)

#6 2007-01-17 09:33 AM

biologz
Administrator

Ok thank you Vic for the answer,

Rob let China launches nukes all around the world, they are enough :-)

-- quoted from bash

#7 2007-01-19 05:55 PM

vic
Administrator
Website

It's done by the user's primary group.  We could create a group called "Regulars" and because the anti-spam is only invoked for the "Registered Users" group it would bypass the spam check for those users.  The 10 post idea is a good one though.  I wonder if we could auto-promote users to a group like "Regulars" after 10 posts?  I don't know.  If the spam thing turns out to be a pain we can disable it.

#8 2007-01-19 08:05 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Yeah, perusing the admin config stuff, it looks like that should be doable...  Under
the "Usergroups" section, there's a "Promotions" section, that seems to let you set
up various rules by which to promote users to new groups, including by number of
posts (though, maybe some combo of that and days registered is better, to catch
any lurkers who have been around a while, but don't post much)...  I haven't setup
anything yet, though...  Anyone else have ideas on how it should ideally work?

#9 2007-01-22 09:32 AM

biologz
Administrator

Yeah Your idea sounds good rob but you shouldn't be too rude with people who have been registered for a long time and don't post too much...like me i don't post really often.

Maybe the amount of connection can be a good indicator...

-- quoted from bash

Board footer