UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-18 11:12 AM

biologz
Administrator

Re: suggestion

Hi admins,

i noticed something that could be improved: when there is a new reply in a thread, the concerned channel is marked with the "contains new posts" logo (it becomes orange). When i read the new reply and then just click on "UNIX Socket FAQ" to come back on the main page, even if i have already read all the replies, the channel stays marked as "contains new posts". If i want it to become marked as "contains no new posts" i have to come back in the channel to see that there is no more replies in any threads and then i can come back to the main page and see the thread as "contains no new posts".

Could it be avoided? i mean as soon as i have read all the replies in a channel and i come back to "UNIX Socket FAQ" immediatly see this channel channel as "contains no new posts"?

thx

gethostbyintuition() is still a dream of mine

-- quoted from bash

#2 2006-07-18 01:56 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

I twiddled with the settings a bit, please tell me if it's better now.

Edit: seems a bit aggressive now, hm...

I switched from a cookie based method to a database method of storing which threads are viewed and not, so that it's more accurate. But it seems that the switch has some side effects, so it might be best to just read the newest posts and then mark all forums read. After that it shouldn't be that messy anymore.

#3 2006-07-18 03:13 PM

biologz
Administrator

It hasn't changed anything. I just read your post and came back to the main page, i still had to come again in the "suggestion" channel and come back to the main page to see it as "no new posts".

But anyway it's not a real problem...dont waste your time on that. thanx for your efforts :-)

-- quoted from bash

#4 2006-07-18 03:15 PM

biologz
Administrator

oh no it's worse now, channels become marked as "contains new posts" at any time...

-- quoted from bash

#5 2006-07-18 04:17 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

First mark all forms as read (once needed), and then try again. The new thing doesn't mark old unread posts as read automatically, and it doesn't cooperate with the old cookie way, so you need a clean state.

But your problem could also be caused by browser caching.

#6 2006-07-18 04:53 PM

biologz
Administrator

Ok it's done. I'll wait for new posts and i'll keep you updated

-- quoted from bash

#7 2006-07-18 07:36 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

Ugh...  I just arrived to 2 full pages of "new posts", most of them utterly ancient... ;-/
I was happy with the old method, myself...  I always just hit the New Posts link at
the top of the page...  And, I always actually really LIKED the fact that it'd still show
ones you recently read/replied to, just so I could keep track of WTF I had responded
to (or decided to ignore, or come back to some other time)...  I have a bad feeling
that this method (if it actually works as described) will ruin that behavior... ;-/  I guess
I'll see...

#8 2006-07-18 09:53 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

I think the new way will indeed show only really new posts, not already answered ones. On the other hand, if a new post is posted while you're writing a message it won't be considered read as currently happens. So it has both up and downsides. But the big downside that the new method only starts working well after people hit "mark all forums read" is quite bad, so I've reverted the changes.

It's now cookie and inactivity based again, instead of database based.

#9 2006-07-19 09:04 AM

biologz
Administrator

Well if Rob like it, he is the master, plus it's not so important.

But i just wanted to say "congratulations" for being so quick to take into account users suggestions. I definitely love this forum :-) (i'm a fuc*ing ass-licker hehe).

-- quoted from bash

Board footer