UNIX Socket FAQ

A forum for questions and answers about network programming on Linux and all other Unix-like systems

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-18 01:56 PM

dsmith

Re: Email notification

Hi all.

I am very new around here, but I do have a quick suggestion.  It is not a big deal either way, but I was wondering how hard it would be to have email notification of replies turned on when you register?  Most forums now days it seems that this is the default so I never checked it when I registered.  I had thought that no one replied to my posts, so I just by chance happened to check back in and find that they had.

I since have gone to the User CP and enabled it, but I thought it may be nice to turn on by default when someone registers.

I really appreciate this forum though.  FAQ's are great and all, but it is so nice to have something that is dynamic and can address specific problems that people are having.

Thank you.

#2 2005-09-18 02:28 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

Although email notifications are only annoying most of the time, they're useful for things you don't check often. When registering to a new forum that is likely to be the case. Also when choosing between turning them on or not, the people who don't want them can disable them after receiving one unwanted notification, but the people who want them but don't get any have a bigger problem. On the other hand such people can enable it in their options and they can request notification mails when posting a message, so it isn't if there aren't enough ways yet.

So I'm undecided, let's see what others think. I'll edit your post and add a poll, if you don't mind. Edit: Hm, that doesn't seem to be possible.

#3 2005-09-18 05:22 PM

RobSeace
Administrator
Website

I think it makes sense...  (If we can make it so that it's set that way by default,
anyway...  I haven't dug into the settings at all, yet...)  I suppose most people,
especially newly registered users, aren't likely to obsessively visit this place every
day, like us loonies... ;-)  And, like you say, those users who find the E-mail
annoying can easily enough turn it off... *shrug*

#4 2005-09-18 09:37 PM

i3839
Oddministrator

Alright, done.

Board footer